With the tax filing deadline around the corner, and though filing your taxes is not exactly thrilling, it needs to be done. It can be a bit overwhelming to have to dig through your files and gather all your paperwork to file taxes. But after taking this first step, the rest of the process should be easier and less stressful.
Here’s a checklist of what you will need to gather before your tax appointment:
1) Your Social Security number, your spouse’s and/or dependents’ Social Security numbers
2) Last year’s tax return
3) All W-2 and/or 1099-MISC forms including any contractor’s income
4) Self-employed bookkeeping records
5) Schedule K-1s
6) Bank saving interest and dividend statement from credit unions, stockbrokers, etc.
7) Unemployment compensation report
8) Social Security benefits report
9) Gambling winning or lottery winning statement
10) State Income tax refund from last year
11) Withdrawal statement of your 401K, IRA, Pension and Annuity, etc.
12) IRA contribution for last year
13) Education expenses for your children and yourself and student loan interest
14) Health and dental insurance / Obama Care premium payment and associated expenses
15) House mortgage interest records
16) House property tax records
17) Auto registration fees
18) Childcare expense, care provider name, SSN or Tax ID-FEIN, and address
19) Business, business travel, rental property, stock, bond, real estate, job related moving expenses, etc.
20) Charitable donations made throughout the year
21) 1099-C forms, if you canceled any debt during the year
22) Record of alimony received
23) Energy-efficient home improvement records and receipts
About the Author
Christine Chung, Esq.